Love + Marriage: Four Years

May 30, 2013

Ba(k)er-270

Four years ago on a warm day in May I married my best friend!!!

Just kidding, this is not that blog. But I did get married a few years ago today to a guy who now looks a lot less like my boyfriend and a lot more like the guy who scrubs the mold from our bathtub. Thanks rockstar! I hope those chemicals are not giving you a degenerative disease. It therefore remains important for adolescents to receive herpes 2 test, std including hard-hitting campaigns.

Marriage is a funny thing. We like to joke about it and act as if the whole thing is just a giant sketch from Everybody Loves Raymond, but really it’s pretty serious. We stand up in front of one or five hundred people and pledge to love a person even if they lose all their limbs or can never find anything in the refrigerator. We nod our heads and say I do to a lifetime of the same conversations.

“What do you want to eat?”

“I don’t care. What do you want to eat?”

“I don’t care, spaghetti?”

“No. We just had spaghetti.”

“WHAT DO YOU WANT TO EAT?”

“I don’t care. You decide.”

It is not something to take lightly.

It is also not something to take too seriously. For example, if your spouse casually mentions you are poisoning your fetus by drinking a Coke, maybe do something unpleasant to his toothbrush. Put some salt in his tea! Maybe turn all his shirts inside out.

There are so many options.

Oh Austin. In four years we’ve had five moves, six jobs, one career change, and made two babies. Cheers to 60 more years of the constant ebb and flow of things.

We got this.

35 thoughts on “Love + Marriage: Four Years

1. Liz Morgan

Hahahahahah that “what do you want to eat????” Conversation is all too familiar. You’re absolutely right though….they say you need trust, honesty, and communication to make a marriage work, but I don’t see how anyone can do it without a sense of humor! Congratulations on 4 years of wedded bliss ;)

2. Courtney

Shhh. It’s a secret. I ate lunch meat yesterday. If my husband knew, I can’t imagine the type if fetus endangerment I’d be accused of. Drink a coke, and boil some pasta is what I say!

3. Priyanka

Happy Anniversary! I am new to your blog and absolutely love your style of writing!

The dinner question is quite the argument in our house too.

4. Amber

So glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t refer to my husband as my best friend. He makes me laugh and we spend a lot of time together, so maybe he is actually my best friend. But anyway, happy anniversary!

5. Lindsay

Were you in our kitchen last night? We had that same conversation… I’m also pretty sure we ate spaghetti twice last week. Gotta love it.

6. Laura

Happy Anniversary! I just had this conversation, it kills me each time. Marriage is a funny thing though and you sound like you have the hang of it. Even though I always love my husband, on certain days I tell him, I really like you today and all seems good in the world.

And the Coke…yes! We are in the process of making our first baby, well not now, I’m typing at work, and not really because we are failing somewhat but I digress, each time we think THIS MAY BE IT he’s all, put down that coke! They clean blood stains off highways with that.

Through sickness, health, and coke fights. Good times!

7. Beth

Happy anniversary!! Dinner conversation happens EVERY NIGHT. And my husband always suggests ordering pizza or grabbing fast food. ALWAYS he suggests this. I would rather eat someone’s cooking too, but geez.

8. Pingback: 5 Years | Kate Baer